Trying to share the recipes that bring me happiness

Friday, March 11, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Thank you to those of you still reading my blog! I know I've been slacking but I promise I will now update regularly! Recently, we gave Kyle's mom a cookbook of our favorite recipes for her birthday which makes my life much easier because all the recipes are on my computer! :) 

I wanted to share with you my favorite meal! CHICKEN POT PIE! Who doesn't love chicken with vegetables (and potatoes if you want!) all inside a yummy warm crust?! Please try it. It is totally worth the long list of ingredients (which you probably already have at home) and somewhat lengthy prep work. It is seriously delicious! PLUS, it took me three times to get this post done because of computer problems so I want someone to try it! 


Chicken Pot Pie





Prep Time: 35 minutes            Cook Time: 50 minutes

Yields:1- 9 inch pie, about 8 servings

Ingredients
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
2½ cups chicken broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1¼ cups milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
2 potatoes (optional)

    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. If you want to add potatoes, you should also add them! Add water to cover with two chicken bouillon cubes. Boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
    3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions and garlic in butter until onions are soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
    4. Put one pie crust in pie pan and brush with whisked egg whites. Bake for 5 minutes.
    5. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
    6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.


    I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Please let me know if you try it! :) 

    Have a great weekend <3  

    1 comment:

    1. I made this recipe tonight for dinner - it was great! I only made one change...I used half the amount of called for butter (watching my weight you know!!!) and didn't notice any negative effects. The baking time turned out to be 30 minutes. I did 10 with tin foil on and 20 uncovered. Next time I might simmer the sauce a little less - I would have liked it a little more liquidy in the finished product - it was pretty thick. Also, this recipe took me about an hour from start to finish, so it's not really a "quick" meal, but still easy enough. This is a great recipe!!!

      ReplyDelete